Aero Commander 560E VH-CAW


Along with sister-ship VH-CAU, Aero Commaner 560E VH-CAW (c/n 729-53) was acquired by DCA to replace its fleet of ageing Avro Anson wartime transports. The aircraft was registered new to DCA on 30 March 1959 and delivered by DCA pilots from the USA via Europe and the Middle East, arriving at Melbourne/Essendon on 17 May 1959 - refer to VH-CAU for links to more.

The photo above shows VH-CAW at Gatwick, UK, on its delivery flight. The shot below shows it at Melbourne/Essendon on 14 April 1960 in its delivery colour scheme of mostly polished metal with dark blue trim, however note that the registration marks have been moved and enlarged.

 


Click here to see VH-CAW in a later colour scheme

(Photos: Top - Ian D Johnson collection; Bottom -Graham Hayward/John Hopton collection)


Back to the Departmental Aero Commander index

Back to Departmental Aircraft index page


If this page appears without a menu bar at top and left, click here