The Department's Fleet of Aero Commanders


Towards the end of the 1950s DCA looked to replace its ageing fleet of Anson communications aircraft. At the time, the last word in modern light aircraft was the new Aero Commander series, and DCA purchased two of the 560E model (VH-CAU & VH-CAW) in 1959.

These were supplemented by two of the more-powerful 680E model the following year (VH-CAX & VH-CAY).

The Departmental Aero Commanders were used on general communications and utility work, including Search And Rescue (SAR) operations, based in the various DCA Regions. They were replaced in the 1970s by turbine-powered Swearingen Merlins.

Click on the images below to see photos of the Department's Aero Commanders:

< Handover and delivery of DCA's first two Aero Commander 560Es

  
< Aero Commander 560E VH-CAU
 

 

< Aero Commander 560E VH-CAW
  
< Read an airtest of DCA's Aero Commander 560E from 1959
 

< Aero Commander 680E VH-CAX

  
< Aero Commander 680E VH-CAY
  
< Bonus photo: Aero Commander maintenance
  

Back to the Departmental Aircraft index page

If this page appears without menu bars at top or left, click here