NSW Airports Engineering Staff - 1950

NSW airport engineering staff

Staff of DCA's NSW Airports Engineering section pose for a photo at Kyeemagh during the diversion of the Cooks River at Sydney's Mascot airport. They are: Len Memorey, Sectional Draftsman; Marie Grenenger, Tracer; Neil Lake, Chief Engineer; Maurie Rowe, Draftsman; and Mike McGrath, Draftsman.

The Cooks River originally ran parallel with the shore of Botany Bay, separated from it by sand dunes. In order to allow for the expansion of the airport, particularly the extension of Runways 07/25 and 16/34, the river was filled in and a new exit to the sea made on the south-western corner of the airport.

(Photo: CAHS collection)


Back to the main Airports & Aerodromes Index


If this page appears without a menu bar at top and left, click here