When DCA took over Sydney/Bankstown aerodrome from the (British) Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm after the Second World War, it inherited a wartime Control Tower. In the late 1940s or very early 1950s this new facility was constructed to replace the original Tower. The Tower cab itself was just one element of a larger building. It's currently not known exactly what was housed in the main part of the building, but it likely included the Briefing Office as well as equipment rooms and administration offices. As was the practice at the time, the Tower was painted with black and white checks to highlight it as a potential obstruction to low flying aircraft.
The first and sixth photos on this page were taken on 22 March 1953. In the early 1950s Bankstown was a busy place: among other things de Havilland Australia, which had established a factory at Bankstown during the war, was winding up production of the locally designed DHA-3 Drover but Vampire jet fighter production was still in full swing for the RAAF. As Kingsford Smith (Mascot) airport became busier with airline traffic, more and more general aviation activity developed at Bankstown.