The image above shows Hobart's Cambridge
Aerodrome seen in 1942 from the top of the 33 Mc 'Lorenz'
radio range antenna tower. From left to right at rear can be seen the aerodrome rotating beacon, a garage and equipment shed and the aero club hangar.
Inside the compound in the foreground is, at left, the garrison quarters,
two 70' HF receiver masts, and the Control Building, containing Aeradio and Met offices, with signal square
adjacent. Roll your cursor over the image to get a labelled version.
Out of shot
to the right is the ANA hangar.
The image above is another shot
of Hobart/Cambridge in 1942 looking back from a rather muddy movement
area. At left is the ANA hangar and 'Lorenz'
mast, then the Control Building with HF receiver masts, the aero club
hangar with aerodrome beacon
behind, and finally the garage and equipment shed.
was originally slated to receive an art-deco Ops/Met building and Control
Tower similar to those erected at Mascot, Parafield
however this never materialised due to the start of the Second World War.
shows the view further around to the right from that in the upper photo,
looking approximately north over Barilla Bay.
CAHS/Rod Torrington collection)
to see some photos of Cambridge as it was in
Back to the
main Airports &
Aerodromes index page
If this page appears without menu bars at top and left, click here