In the early post-war years, ANA was Australia's largest airline. However, by the mid 1950s the new Government-owned airline Trans Australia Airlines had severely affected ANA's financial position. In 1957 the airline was sold to Reg Ansett's organisation, being re-badged as ANSETT-ANA. The 1962 photo below shows the Cairns terminal wearing the new combined airline's name. The airport's rotating beacon seems to have been moved in the meantime to the front of the terminal.
By 1970 new passenger facilties allowed the conversion of this building back into a hangar, used by Ansett Air Freight (ANSETT-ANA became Ansett Airlines of Australia in 1968).