Douglas DC-3 VH-CAQ
Post-war it was sold to DCA by the Commonwealth Disposals Commission and struck off RAAF charge on 26 October 1948. The aircraft underwent civil conversion, being equipped with 'civil' Pratt & Whitney R1830-S1C3G engines and becoming a DC-3C. On 26 August 1949 a Certificate of Registration was issued for it as VH-ABC, after the former Director-General of Civil Aviation Arthur Brownlow Corbett.
Little more than a year later, however, the aircraft was re-registered in the 'DCA block' on 4 September 1950 as VH-CAQ, along with the other DC-3s in the Department's fleet. The photo above shows VH-CAQ at DCA's main base at Melbourne/Essendon c. December 1950. Incidentally, in the background can just be made out ANA's Bristol 170 Freighter VH-INL.
The aircraft did not have a long life with DCA as it crashed and was damaged beyond repair at Camden, NSW, on 27 March 1951.
(Photo: Ed Coates collection)
Back to the main Departmental DC-3 index