VH-DMV was built as a C-47A-30-DK (c/n 25495, correcting duplicated 14050). The aircraft saw service with
the USAAF as 43-48234.
It was acquired by DCA in Manila from
the US government in March 1947 and refurbished as a civil DC-3 and airways
survey aircraft by Butler Air Transport, Mascot, the Certificate of Registration as VH-DMV being issued on 6 October 1947. Following the change
in DCA registration policy, the aircraft was re-registerered as
VH-CAO in February 1951. VH-DMV was based
at the DCA Flying Unit's Melbourne/Essendon headquarters throughout
its career with the Department.
of poor quality, the photo above is of considerable interest due to
the 'Department of Civil Aviation Australia' title on the fuselage above
the windows, the barely-legible title 'Airways Survey Flight' under
the windows, and the DCA badge
on the fin. It was taken at Essendon in April 1949.
The Collection - p1789-1949)