The Department's Fleet of Austers
Accordingly an Auster Mk III, which became VH-BKK, was purchased in 1947. This aircraft became VH-CAJ as part of the general change-over of registrations into DCA's own 'CA' block in 1949. That same year a second, new Auster J.5 Autocrat, VH-CAM (1), was purchased. Following trials in Melbourne, it was allocated to the Department's Papua New Guinea Region.
Unfortunately this aircraft crashed into the sea in 1951. This left the PNG Region short of a single-engine liaison aircraft so a second VH-CAM, a J.5G, was purchased in 1955. In the event, this aircraft seems to have spent its life based in Melbourne and the PNG Region got Cessna 170 VH-CAS, which was much more suited to New Guinea than the Auster.
Click on the images below to see photos of the Department's Austers:
< VH-BKK (later VH-CAJ)
|< VH-CAM (1)|
|< VH-CAM (2)|
Back to the Departmental Aircraft index page