well as requiring an aircraft capable of operating around Australia for its own
use, the CAB was keen to set an example by proving
the latest types of civil aircraft in Australia's rugged environment. Thus, in
1924 the CAB purchased a new De Havilland DH37, in the event one of only two built.
This aircraft was a three-seat sporting and touring aircraft of wooden construction,
designed to an order from Alan Butler, De Havilland Aircraft Co. Chairman.
CAB's aircraft was built by De Havilland at their Stag Lane Aerodrome, Edgware,
Middlesex, UK (c/n 105) and was powered by a Rolls Royce Falcon III of 275hp.
It was shipped to Australia and assembled by the Pratt brothers' Geelong Air Service
at Geelong's Belmont Common aerodrome. The aircraft was registered as G-AUAA to
the CAB on 1 July 1924 - Certificate of Registration #98. It was the first aircraft
to be registered in the block G-AUAA to G-AUAZ which was reserved for use by the
CAB (the CAB's previous aircraft, Tourer
G-AUCA, was given an 'out of sequence' registration).
for later generations, Charlie Pratt kept good photographic records of many of
the early aircraft that passed through the hands of Geelong Air Service and the
photographs on this page show G-AUAA after assembly at Geelong. The upper shot
shows the aircraft in the Geelong Air Service hangar, whilst the photos above
and below show the aircraft about to undergo engine runs - note the two chaps
holding down the tail in the photo below.