Essendon Airport OPS-MET Building

This photograph shows the Essendon Operations-Meteorology (OPS-MET) building (Building 79) as it looked in February 1989. It was still in use at the time as a pilot Briefing Office, which was located on the upper floor with an entry via stairs at the rear.

Known within the Department as 'the brick store', this building was originally constructed in the early post-war years. Later it housed the Briefing Office, Aeradio and the Area Control Centre. Air Traffic Control and Flight Service (the successor to Aeradio) operational units moved to the new Melbourne Airport at Tullamarine in the late 1960s.

When face-to-face briefing facilities were withdrawn in the early 1990s, the building fell into disuse. It still stands on English St, but is now partly hidden by the new Essendon Airport administration building.

In 2007 Building 79 was refurbished and re-opened as the 'Everett Centre', 40 English St, a commercial office building. The building is named after Percy Everett, the Victorian Public Works Department's Chief Architect. Percy Everett designed the building, and many other notable structures in Melbourne including the Russell Street Police Station and the Essendon Technical School. The photo below shows the Everett Centre on 30 November 2010.


Click here for a 1954 view of the outside of this building

(Photos: Top-CAHS collection / Bottom-Phil Vabre)

Back to the main Air Traffic Services index

If this page appears without a menu bar at top and left, click here