Essendon Control Towers - c.1956
This aircraft was imported in 1956 by Aviation Sales Pty. Ltd., the Australian Beech distributors, for a private owner in Queensland. This photo is thought to show the aircraft in Melbourne on a demonstration flight. Another photo of this aircraft can be seen here.
In the background, and enlarged in the view below, can be seen the first two Control Towers at Essendon. These can be seen in more detail here. The building at the foot of the Tower is the old Aero Club building, at this time in use as the International Terminal. At right of the Tower is the Government Hangar which at this time served as the airport Fire Station - note the ambulance and fire vehicle parked outside.
(Photo: Alan Fraser via Maurice Austin)
Back to the main Air Traffic Services index
If this page appears without a menu bar at top and left, click here