AWA J2876 HF Radio Transmitter (1938-1983)
The J2876 (DCA ident Y5/6760) was a multi-channel MF/HF unit for air-ground and, later, point-to-point communications, offering three HF channels and one MF channel, capable of CW Morse and Double Side Band (DSB) speech. The MF channel was usually used as a Non-Directional Beacon (NDB) in the post-war years.
The left hand cabinet contained the power supply, whilst the right hand cabinet contained the RF unit. The transmitter could be operated remotely by control lines.
The units were reliable in operation because of the lack of complicated frequency changing mechanisms and their robust construction. They contained an early form of 'modular' construction. The chassis had multi-pin Jones plugs and sockets for easy access to components by pulling out the faulty shelf/module.
(Photo: CAHS collection)