Rockhampton Control Tower - 1970s


'Rocky Tower' is one of the oldest Control Towers still in use in Australia, having been opened in 1961 and still operating as of 2009. At the time of opening, it was one of 28 Control Towers operated by DCA in Australia and Papua & New Guinea. In addition to Aerodrome Control, Rocky Tower also provided procedural Approach and Area Control services. Navigation aids were VAR, NDB and DME(A).

The photos on this page were taken in the 1970s and show Rockhampton Tower and the associated Terminal and Operations building from landside. Work on this building complex was commenced in 1959 and the Terminal opened for traffic on 15 April 1961. At the same time, the original wartime runway was lengthened and strengthened. The total cost of the works was £324,000. During the War an Aeradio station had been established at Rockhampton, and this continued as Flight Service until 1992. From 1961 the FSU was accommodated in the Operations building.

 

 

(Photo: CAHS collection)

Back to the main Air Traffic Services index


 

If this page appears without a menu bar at top and left, click here