Sydney/Mascot Aerodrome - c.1930
Shell fuel company emblemGovernment Hangar No 1Government Hangar No 2Australian National Airways hangar (Kingsford Smith & Ulm) - click here for another viewde Havilland Australia hangar & workshopold Government Hangar, later Adastra AirwaysAir Travel Ltd. hangarMilton Kent's workshop

In 1919 Nigel Love, a partner in the fledgling Australian Aircraft and Engineering Company (AA&E Co) was looking for a suitable site in Sydney to establish the manufacture and operation of Avro 504K aircraft, and later their own projected designs. Love was directed to a site on the north shore of Botany Bay, on former mud flats by the Cook's River, that would subsequently become Mascot Aerodrome and later Kingsford Smith Airport.

In 1921, following the creation of the CAB, the Government decided to assume control of Mascot Aerodrome on the recommendation of Capt. Edgar Johnston, Superintendent of Aerodromes. Although the AA&E Co folded in 1923, Mascot continued to develop in CAB hands. In 1922 an access road was constructed, and in 1923 works were carried out to drain and improve the landing area. The only hangar, however, remained the original AA&E Co canvas 'Richards Patent Hangar' until this blew away in a storm.

By the early 1930s more permanent buildings had been constructed, as shown in the photo above c.1930. Mostly the hangars were constructed by the CAB and either used for its own purposes or leased out, particularly to the Australian Aero Club (NSW Section) whose headquarters were at Mascot. However, several other operators, notably Kingsford Smith and Ulm's Australian National Airways also constructed hangars at the aerodrome. Note the 'Shell' emblem on the apron.

Roll your cursor over the photo above to identify various features...

(Photo: CAHS collection)

Back to the main Airports & Aerodromes Index

If this page appears without a menu bar at top and left, click here